Theme is missing the style.css stylesheet error
A common issue that can occur when installing a WordPress themes is “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme.
One of the reasons you may receive this error is if you have uploaded the incorrect file. You have 2 options for downloading your theme.
1. Installable WordPress file only
The installable WordPress file is the only required file for Sandra theme.
2. All files and documentation (full zip folder)
You will need to extract and locate the installable WordPress files - genesis.2.4.2.zip and sandra.zip.
If you upload the entire full zip folder, you will receive an error.
After extracting the full zip folder, upload genesis.2.4.2.zip first in WordPress admin panel without activating it. Then upload sandra.zip and activating it in admin panel.
Upload the Installable WordPress file admin area
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Browse to Appearance > Themes.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Upload’.
- Browse and select the theme zip file to ‘Upload’.
Upload Via FTP
- WordPress files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
- Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.
Check you are using Wordpress.org
- The fundamental difference between WordPress.com VS WordPress.org is that WordPress.org is self-hosted and allows you to install custom themes and plugins.